Re: XMPP via IRC: BitlBee or Irssi-XMPP?

Hi there!

I know this is an old thread, but IMHO adding more information is still
useful, since I have not chosen yet.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 05:15:33 -0800, Axel Beckert wrote:
> IIRC the main reason for me to finally switch to 3.x was the Twitter
> and Identica support.

I use none of the two, just XMPP :-)

> Luca Capello wrote:
>> I then started looking at using Irssi to directly connect to XMPP,
>> mainly because I am already running an Irssi proxy (and lately I have
>> more and more found myself connecting via SSH to the server instead of
>> using the proxy via an IRC client).  While this solution means that I
>> will lose my willingness to be client-agnostic, it has at least two
>> advantages: first, it does not require a new daemon and, second, it is
>> integrates with Irssi at the command level (i.e. it uses "standard" IRC
>> commands like /AWAY and so on and not "in-room" commands like
>> BitlBee).
>
> While you are right with regards to "in-room commands", you picked the
> wrong example. :-) /away works also affects all IM accounts to which
> you are connected via Bitlbee. The only difference is that you just
> have one type of being "away", not multiple as with most IM systems.

Ah, thank you for the pointer...

> From my experience you need those "in-room commands" only seldom. And
> you can also send them by "/msg root" which is sometimes more
> convenient, espeically in Jabber chat rooms.

...and the tip!

>> I know that at least Axel uses BitlBee,
>
> For years now. And I'm quite happy with it.
>
> Also nice with Bitlbee is that the upstream author and the Debian
> package maintainer are the same person (a DD btw.) and that there is
> the very friendly #bitlbee IRC channel on OFTC.

They both speak in favor of BitlBee, which actually has another
advantage compared to irssi-xmpp: given that BitlBee is of type IRC (it
appears in /NETWORK and /SERVER), it can then be used together with the
Irssi proxy, while irssi-xmpp does not.

But I still dislike the &bitlbee channel and I am still wondering if I
really need to be always online on XMPP ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca