Re: AGM / comments on the translation of bylaws

Hi

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:

> The aim of the translated document distributed with the notice of AGM is
> to provide an exact translation of the German document into English.
>
> Specifically, it aims to be as unambiguous as possible, without adding
> any extra meaning that doesn't already exist in the German version.  On
> the other hand, it doesn't aim to improve any ambiguities/omissions that
> exist in the German version (one is hinted at below)
>
> If people have other suggestions for improvements or changes, they will
> need to be deferred to a future general meeting or the 2014 AGM - but
> there is no reason why people should not write down any
> observations/concerns they have while reviewing this document, given
> that people are looking at it anyway.
>
> The regulations can be found at
> http://www.admin.ch/ch/e/rs/2/210.en.pdf  (jump to Chapter Two:
> Associations, page 18)
>
> It doesn't say very much about the procedure for changing the bylaws,
> Art 67(3) states
> "Resolutions may be taken on matters for which proper notice has not
> been given only where this is expressly permitted by the articles of
> association"
>
> There is no definition of "proper notice" in the regulations or in the
> German version of the bylaws.
>
> This leaves me feeling that the only decision that Sunday's meeting can
> vote on is whether to accept or reject the translation that was
> distributed by Gaudenz with the notice of the meeting.  This is one
> issue that could be revised in a future version of the bylaws, maybe
> adding a rule that allows motions to be proposed by email up to 7 days
> before the AGM.

There is one motion that is certainly properly announced: the change of
the seat. For other motions this is probably true if we want to be on
the really safe side. On the other hand changes to the bylaws are on the
agenda, so one could also argue that any change is properly announced.

> The regulations refer to this document as the Articles of Association,
> we should consider using that term instead of bylaws to refer to the
> document.  The term bylaws may be more appropriate if the global Debian
> organisation was itself incorporated and if debian.ch was constituted
> within it.

I'm fine with this editorial change. It makes sense to use the same term
as the english translation of the law.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.