Re: Mesh networking in Switzerland

On 25/01/13 08:37, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Dear Daniel.
>
>>> Is anybody aware of local groups doing mesh networking deployments in
>>> Switzerland, either on a commercial basis or community organised?
>>
>> Openwireless is the Swiss "branch" of the German "Freifunk" project
>> (project list CCed). They have local communities in several cities, but
>> to the best of my knowledge everything is quite dormant at the moment.
>
> Do you man an open/free public wireless network where routers are
> linked to each other (and maybe to the internet, too) or a set of
> wireless routers, that offer free access to the internet?

To be more specific: I'm looking at solutions for residents in a
particular community who want to buy a single high speed link and then
share internet amongst themselves using meshed wifi routers.

Whether it would be possible for third-party access (e.g. somebody
walking in the street) to use it free (or even for a charge) is not an
essential requirement, but it would be nice to offer that using a
restricted amount of bandwidth.