[Debconf13-ch] meeting minutes

Hi there!

I finalized the minutes for the 2012-03-22 meeting, they are at the end
of this email (each section is separated by ^L characters) and also
available online at:

  <http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Switzerland/minutes-20120322>
  <http://git.debian.ch/v/debconf13-ch.git/commitdiff/cbe5975394908f155b55a893ab1e2b85a16ae521>

There are five places marked as TO-BE-FILLED-IN, sorry for the
inconvenience:

- Kevin, I missed your answers to "What is most important to you when
  working together?" and "How would you characterize your working /
  collaboration style in 3 sentences?"

- Gaudenz, the same as above for your answer to "What involvement into
  the localteam do you see for you?"

- Axel, Martin and Philipp (all three Bcc:ed), you privately showed
  interest in helping out with some teams, please confirm that assigning
  your role in parenthesis (1 for responsible and 2 for second-in-charge)

I think we should approve them and then send a notification to
debconf-team@ in case someone would like to comment on them.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

DebConf13.ch Team meeting minutes - 2012-03-22
<http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Switzerland/minutes-20120322>

0 Contents

1 When and where
2 Attendees list
  2.1 Actual attendees
  2.2 Announced attendees
  2.3 Excused
3 Agenda
  3.1 Greetings, introduction (10 minutes)
  3.2 Common vision for DebConf (30 minutes)
  3.3 Team organisation (80 minutes)
      3.3.1 Definition of the various subteams (50 minutes)
      3.3.2 Team collaboration and communication (30 minutes)
  3.4 Relations to the Global Team (20 minutes)
  3.5 Prospective agenda, next meetings (10 minutes)

1 When and where

* Theaterplatz 2, 3011 Bern, Adrianos Meetingroom
  <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=46.947685&mlon=7.447454&zoom=18&layers=M>
* 18h45 - 21h45, Swiss time (trains leave Bern around 2200)

2 Attendees list

2.1 Actual attendees

* OdyX
* gaudenz
* kevinmoilar
* gismo
* cate
* Michael
* heiserhorn
* Raphael

2.2 Announced attendees

* gismo
* OdyX
* gaudenz
* Raphael
* cate

2.3 Excused

* hug

3 Agenda

3.1 Greetings, introduction (10 minutes)

Each participant introduced himself, especially because this was
Raphael's first meeting.

3.2 Common vision for DebConf (30 minutes)

* What would you like Debconf participants to remember?

  * /nature/ (landscape, good weather)
  * /social/ (group, great time, sport, collaborative environment,
    relaxed environment, party)
  * /technical/ (progress for Debian)
  * well-organized conference, organization, easy-going, food & drink,
    Internet
  * [gaudenz] no need to be different in all directions
  * [OdyX] Swiss Pure Blend
  * [gaudenz] social event and technical progress is important
  * [cate] at the beginning a social event
  * [kevinmoilar] good network of people knowing each other: it is an
                  easier and faster progress
  * [OdyX] knowing people each other is good too

DECISION: a great technical/social period spent with friends in a
          natural environment

* What would you like to achieve trough the DebConf13 organisation?

  * [gismo] nothing more than Debian success
  * [heiserhorn] something to be remembered
  * [cate] better than Mexico
  * [Raphael] make a contribution to Debian
  * [OdyX] (not finishing with a burnout, being happy with it) being up
           to the challenge without a burnout
  * [gaudenz] go on for another week
  * [gismo] failure is a possibility
  * [gaudenz] a local team which is funny to work with
  * [heiserhorn] enjoy DebConf organization
  * [cate] promote Debian in CH
  * [gaudenz] see if we can organize such a big event (a big task ever
              done before by most of us)
  * [kevinmoilar] gain experience
  * [gaudenz] we should not agree on all points

* Collaboration among localteam members

  * What is most important to you when working together?

  * [kevinmoilar] TO-BE-FILLED-IN
  * [heiserhorn] communicate problems/achievements, to be aware, clear
                 needs
  * [OdyX] trust and confidence, "do what you claim to do but fail
           gracefully"
  * [Raphael] respect (trust and communication)
  * [cate] clear tasks
  * [gaudenz] do the stuff you have promised to (do not do a lot if you
              do not have time), say if you do not agree/like
  * [Michael] social aspects similar to FOSDEM (meet people, drink beer,
              make party)
  * [gismo] clear basis and knowledge of what has to be done

* How would you characterize your working / collaboration style in 3
  sentences?

  * [kevinmoilar] TO-BE-FILLED-IN
  * [heiserhorn] dynamic, listen to other people's advice, good at
                 reacting fast
  * [OdyX] verbose (speak a lot), structured, listen to others
  * [Raphael] good work of quality, meticulous, ask questions
  * [cate] check details, small tasks
  * [gaudenz] I try to do the same as above, do stuff well (too much),
              give the power to those who can do and decide how to do it
  * [Michael] social aspects
  * [gismo] sharing the workload, ability to work with strict deadlines
            and quality over quantity

* What involvement into the localteam do you see for you?

  * [kevinmoilar] especially in the summer, busy at job, family, time
                  limited
  * [heiserhorn] not experience in organizing such big things, no
                 financial expertise, food/catering/buvette
  * [OdyX] scouts, "living by doing", 2 hours per week
  * [Raphael] after workhours, at the end of the year maybe I will start
              and education and I will be less available
  * [cate] it depends on the work
  * [gaudenz] TO-BE-FILLED-IN
  * [Michael] social aspects
  * [gismo] whatever is needed

3.3 Team organisation (80 minutes)

3.3.1 Definition of the various subteams (50 minutes)

* Proposed subteams (to be defined):

  * [gismo] too many
  * [cate] some tasks by the Global team
  * [gaudenz] some in closer collaboration with the Global team
  * [gaudenz] we always need a backup: responsible(1) and
              second-in-charge(2)

  * *team*: gaudenz(1), OdyX(1)
    * /constant work until the end/
    * team handling
    * Global Team contact
    * team meeting agendas
    * final report
    * planning
    * press contact (outside communication, announcement)
    * Debian Day (it depends on the venue)

  * *hospitality*: heiserhorn(1), Michael(2)
    * /influence the budget/
    * food
    * bar
    * venue accommodation
    * special accommodation
    * transport
    * contact at 'Le Camp' (food prices, other options)

  * *finance*: Raphael(1), gismo(1), cate(2), gaudenz(2),
               hug(TO-BE-FILLED-IN), madduck(TO-BE-FILLED-IN)
    * /schedule a meeting to discuss everything/
    * our main effort should be focused on local Swiss sponsors
    * participate in the Global team
    * sponsoring
    * legalese (which umbrella, legal organization, separate
      association)
    * money

  * *Front Desk*: cate(1), heiserhorn(2), Michael(2)
    * /visual identity/
    * website content, logo, sponsor pack
    * visas
    * safety (First Aid, police, pharmacies)
    * communication to attendees (FAQ)
    * accessibility
    * promotional material
    * participant gifts
    * wiki updates

  * *tech*: kevinmoilar(1), OdyX(2), gismo(2), hug(TO-BE-FILLED-IN),
            XTaran(TO-BE-FILLED-IN)
    * website technical
    * migration from pentabarf to frap
    * network infrastructure
      * put effort in summer about the network connectivity
      * backup plan for a single uplink
    * talk infrastructure

  * *fun*: kevinmoilar(2), Raphael(2)
    * extra activities
    * sport
    * daytrip
    * formal dinner (boat?)

  * Who takes the lead in which subteam

    * => subteams define their area of responsibility until the next meeting
      * responsibilities
      * when the work has to be done
      * necessary resources (human, financial)
      * interdependencies with other teams

  DECISION: each subteam should detail the above in an email to the
            debconf13-ch mailing list

3.3.2 Team collaboration and communication (30 minutes)

  * [gismo] while this is automatic, it is now useless

  DECISION: community@l.d.c is manually kept in the loop (no technical
            discussion)

* How often do we meet?

  DECISION: moved to the next meeting

* Proposal of "team coordinator" role

  * keeps track of the "whole picture"
  * Organizes localteam meetings
  * coordination / communication with the global team (if not delegated
    for special tasks)
  * Has no special decision making powers (?)

  DECISION: no need for that (similar to the team subteam)

3.4 Relations to the Global Team (20 minutes)

Introductory remark by gaudenz:

  Global Team: responsible for DebConf, they give us work (contractors,
               delegators), they help us / we help them doing work
  Video Team: not our concerns, their own material and stuff

* What do you / do we expect from the Global Team?

  * [OdyX] they communicate us the needs, but we need to have precise
           data
  * [heiserhorn] deadlines (registration, schedule, etc.)
  * [cate] they prefer us to do the work
  * [gaudenz] some subscribed to our mailing list

* What do you / do we think the Global Team expects from us?

  * [gismo] commitment, availability
  * [OdyX] website problems for DebConf12, we do not want late surprises
  * [gaudenz] 1/2 contacts in case of (e.g. for phone calls)
  * [OdyX] zero-debt conference

* DebConf12.ni

  * What do we want to do for DC12.ni as team or as indiviuals?

    * [cate] presentation
    * [gaudenz] submit the event -> team coordination
    * [gaudenz] frap (unique conference software to be able to import
                penta data)
    * [gismo] help there (but not until the end, I have to be in Italy
              on 2012-07-13), sponsors lookup and various minor stuff
              (e.g. proofreading)
    * [gaudenz] will do Global Team tasks, priority is DebConf13
    * [OdyX] they need help talk schedule, sponsorship decision (who
             gets what), accommodation assignment

  * What is expected from us as team and as individuals w.r.t DC12.ni

    * Anyone want's to migrate penta to frab?

      DECISION: this should be done by the tech subteam

3.5 Prospective agenda, next meetings (10 minutes)

* Logo

  * [cate] will do (as part of the Front Desk subteam)

* Next meetings

  * [gaudenz] wikipages about subteams
  * [gaudenz] sponsor/finance team: additional meeting?
  * [gaudenz] mid-May

  DECISION: next meeting will be on 2012-05-09 at 18:45+0200 in Fribourg

* Longterm planning until DC13.ch, (bi-)monthly f2f meetings

  * LocalTeam week-ends?

    * 1 before DC13.ch? (Hackathon, team-building, ...)
    * 1 after DC13.ch? (Project review, final report)