Re: DebConf13.ch

Hi all,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:54:37 +0200, Giacomo Tenaglia wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> wrote:
>>> Few years ago I spoked about DebConf to one friend of me, which is also
>>> a MySwitzerland event organizer. She told me that MySwitzerland will
>>> help us organizing such event (in facts she regularly ask me if we are
>>> ready to bid it).
>
> Good, can you please add her/them to the loop and point her/them to
> Moray's call for bids and relative links [1]?
>
> [1] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/CAHWF6ZOMtoeH8vDE=1y03qwhOWEVp4BHMy2V6F4ROw2Te9kJNg%40mail.gmail.com>
>
>> for the venue I could check with CERN Debian users (mostly a few
>> groups in IT) whether it could be possible to have it here at CERN.
>
> IIRC there are a few DDs at CERN [2]: can someone add them to the loop,
> too?  Or at least notity them of our intentions, so we can have a
> contact point there.
>
> [2] <http://www.cern.org/>
>
> Please note, however, that I see both one big advantage and one big
> disadvantage with CERN: the former is that we will be where the WWW as
> we know today was born, the latter is that, despite being now directly
> connected by tram to the center of the city (line 18 [3]), it take at
> least 20 minutes to arrive there.  And looking for a dormitory nearby
> would mean not being near the lake...
>
> [3] <http://www.tpg.ch/fr/ligne18>
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:09:53 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
>> I'm definitely interested to help making the 20th anniversary happen in a
>> region with good coffee, gastronomy and organization! I'd however also support
>> any bid in other german speaking regions. (No offense intended.)
>
> No problem, I guess that you are not the only one in this situation ;-)
>
>> Is it possible to organize a cheap conference in high prizy Switzerland?
>
> I do not think a DebConf must be cheap by default, and let me explain.
>
> The conference should be sustainable by itself, which means that the
> more it costs the more we should find money/sponsors.  But once we have
> all the money needed, from an *organization* POV it does not matter if
> the conference is in an expensive country or not.  OTOH, it is clear
> that having it in Switzerland would mean that activities in RL not
> linked to the conference itself are limited given their cost.  Again, I
> see no reason to step back because of that, given that we had a DebConf
> in NYC [4], actually not the cheapest city in the world (if not cheaper
> than Genève or Zürich at least at the same level).
>
> Obviously, I would like to have a DebConf in Genève.  However, in case
> we go on I would support *any* Swiss city, obviously knowing that I do
> not speak any German and thus I could help less ;-)
>
> Why Genève?  A quick note says that it is of a strategic importance at
> various level: AFAIK the UN office [5] there is the one where the
> [...]

I will be very pleased to give a hand organizing it.
Living in Geneva it would be much easier for me to help if the site is
closer to it (Lausanne, Fribourg, Neuchatel) and I also do not speak
german.
But even if the meeting will be somewhere else I will be glad to do what I can.

Cheers
--
Michele Cane