Re: ISPs in Switzerland

also sprach Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org> [2008.03.14.1720 +0100]:
> I prefer the fixed IP, too, but not for three to five times of the
> price I pay now, especially not with lower bandwidth. And since the
> primary thing I use the hostname for is ssh, I go fine with dynamic
> DNS -- but with my own DynDNS server.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of us approached init7, that
they'd be ready to pass out static IPs for our subscriptions without
making much of a fuss about it.

Now, this is not a promise, and if you work at init7 reading this,
don't shout at me! :)

Cablecom works fine, but my modem died yesterday. I called in and
was promised a technician to call within 48 hours to make an
appointment. I was annoyed.

Then I remembered that I had a second modem from some time back,
which they didn't want back. I asked them to let me try it, to
switch the MAC address associated with my account. They wouldn't
(said they couldn't). And they wouldn't let me pick up a new modem
at their offices, or even mail it.

At least the technician called an hour later and the appointment is
on Monday, all of which is pretty good considering the low
service-level-agreement I made with Cablecom (being a private
customer).

I'd still like to believe that init7 (who use Debian a lot) might be
a little more flexible.

Btw, if you're interested in ISP stuff, http://blogg.ch is worth
tossing into your RSS reader. Fredi is former init7 CEO who has gone
to do Zattoo.

And no, I don't work for them.

"mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images."
                                                       -- jean cocteau