Re: mpich FTBFS on sh4: MPIUI_Thread TLS definition mismatches tbss

On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 11:58 -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The link error suggests 2 different versions of MPIUI_Thread are
> > used.
> > But I can only see a definition in src/util/thread/mpiu_thread.c.
> > src/mpi/comm does not refer to it, and comm_rank.c does not use any
> > MPIU object. So the error message doesn't make sense to me.
>
> comm_rank's reference to MPIUI_Thread is also present on at least
> amd64,
> and presumably due to some macro that (directly or indirectly) calls
> MPIU_THREADPRIV_FIELD.  However, it's not clear why multithreaded
> build
> settings would be in effect for mpiu_thread but not also
> comm_rank.  (It
> looks like MPIUI_Thread's thread-locality is conditional on
> MPICH_IS_THREADED, which mpichconf.h defines centrally.)
>
> I don't have time to dig deeper, but hope that brief analysis helps.

That sounds about right, thanks Aaron.

Is the problem likely to be in the toolchain or in the mpich code?

Given that no other arch has the problem, the toolchain seems likely.
Unless sh4 does something special in regards to thread support that the
code needs to account for.

Drew