What Type of Support Does Our Disabled Population Need Most?

Hello from EducatorLabs!

I’m writing to you today on the topic of disabilities. After reviewing the Americans with Disabilities: 2010 Report , this topic rose to the top of our research and outreach initiatives. Among the statistics were:

-- In 2010, 56.7 million people had a disability.
-- About 15.5 million adults had difficulties with one or more instrumental activities of daily living (including housework, using the phone and preparing meals). Of these, nearly 12 million required assistance.
-- Being frequently depressed or anxious such that it interfered with ordinary activities was reported by 7.0 million adults.
-- 41 percent of those age 21 to 64 with any disability were employed, compared with 79 percent of those with no disability.
-- Adults age 21 to 64 with disabilities had median monthly earnings of $1,961 compared with $2,724 for those with no disability.

We’re still trying to understand how to best reach out and offer assistance. We reviewed numerous resources and have made many phone calls to experts in the field.

What we can offer today is a list of quality resources. If you are interested in reviewing them, I would be delighted to pass them along. And if, after reviewing, you think the collection would be a useful addition to your site (http://bugs.debian.org/257524), I will invite you to share them.

I hope you’ll take me up on the offer to review the resources! On the other hand, if you'd rather not hear from me in the future, please let me know in an email response. I certainly understand and respect your wishes.

Have a great day!
Jasmine

 Americans with Disabilities: 2010 Report (http://www.census.gov/people/disability/publications/sipp2010.html)

Jasmine Dyoco | info@educatorlabs.org
http://educatorlabs.org/ | Cultivating. Connecting. Curating.
2054 Kildaire Farm Rd. #204 | Cary, NC | 27518