Re: "debug1: Roaming not allowed by server"

On 20120205_003100, Paul E Condon wrote:
> "debug1: Roaming not allowed by server"
>
> I am getting this message as part of debug stream when I try to log into
> a ssh server within my home lan. I can't find anything wrong with what
> I am doing, but the message seems to imply that 'roaming' has some special
> meaning in the world of openssh and that the server can recognize when it
> is being attempted and can be configured to disallow it. Can the server
> configuration be changed to allow it? I am not at all roaming. I am
> never leaving my home, and my computers do not move around. Can you
> point me to some documentation that explains how to deal with this?

More information:
I run three hosts, named big, cmn, and gq .
big and cmn are running up to date Squeeze. gq is running Wheezy.
All have identical sshd_config and ssh_config, as supplied by you.
None have a ~/.ssh/config, neither /root/ nor /home/pec/.
I am the only user on all three hosts.
gq root identity is passwordless. All others have real passwords.

On big, I use the ssh-agent as it is installed by standard Debian
install, giving a password using ssh-add. I get this message only
when I attempt ssh into big, either to root or to pec.

In the past, I was able to ssh into any host from an ssh login
on any host without ever giving a password again. Now that
still works between cmn and gq, but not into big.

big is new hardware since that passwordless past. The old hardware
failed, but the ide disks in it survived. I did a netinst onto new
hardware, put the old disks into external usb cases, and copied
personal data from them into /home/pec and /root on the new
hardware. If I copied anything that I should not have, I certainly
have no idea what it could be that would provoke a recent install of
sshd into issuing the 'Roaming' message. Remember I don't have and
config in either ~/.ssh/ directory of either the new or the old
version the big hardware. Is there something in the BIOS?  That seems
very strange, but I can't think of anything more plausible.

I want to fix the new big. I have diagnostic software that runs in
a cron job on gq that needs passwordless access to big

Please help.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net