Connect two pcs with crossover cable

Hi: I'm new to this list and to ssh program.

I've connected two pcs with a crossover cable and installed ssh on both but
they don't seem to `see' each other: I edited /etc/network/interfaces on the
first pc as follows:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static

, and in the second pc the same with in place of  The
command `ssh' given from the first machine produces no output.  I
want to use rsync with ssh to share data between the two pcs.

I'm stuck, never connected two pcs together but now I need to: help highly