ssh performance issues

Hey there,
I'm experiencing performance issues with sshd (from openssh) when
using scp/sftp. I have two computers connected via gigabit ethernet
through a switch and only get around 30 kB/s!

I tried openbsd-server from both stable (4.3p2-9) and unstable
(4.6p1-5 compiled for etch) and it happens with both. As clients I
used another Debian system with lenny on it and even Putty on Windows,
so the problem seems to be with sshd.

Both computers had hardly anything else running with CPU usage of
under 5% and almost no load on the hard drives. The network link seems
to be ok too as the computer with sshd running acts as a router and I
get over 500 kB/s top for my internet connection.

I previously ran IPCop with sshd on the exact same machine and got
very good results copying files with scp (at least 30 times what I get
now), so the problem seems to Debian specific (or at least openssh
specific).

Does anybody have any idea what I could do? I don't know what to do
because I need it for backups and it's just not feasible with this
speed. Should I file a bug? I am grateful for any kind of help!

Thanks