problems with ssh-krb5

Hi

I ran into problems with ssh-krb5, when trying to log in as root to a
server with only the root account, i.e. no other users added by me.

ssh -l root piccard

resulted in

Disconnecting: Protocol error: didn't expect packet type 34

The kerberos install seems to work ok otherwise (heimdal kdc and
clients, but ssh-krb5 is of course linked to the MIT kerberos
lib). Also ssh-krb5 works ok otherwise, I can log in on other machines
as myself automagically with a TGT, or as root with password,
i.e. essentially what I tried above. AFAICT the only difference is
that I don't have an account on the machine where it fails.

Some lines from verbose debug lines indicate an error in GSSAPI:

<snipped>
debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 131/256
debug2: bits set: 498/1024
debug1: Calling gss_init_sec_context
debug1: Received Error
debug1: GSSAPI Error:
Miscellaneous failure
Decrypt integrity check failed

Disconnecting: Protocol error: didn't expect packet type 34

I'm not sure if this is a (known?) bug so I don't want to fila bug right now.
All machines run updated Debian / testing.

Anders Lennartsson