Why define SSHD_PAM_SERVICE?

I'm working on a project that requires multiple SSH daemons running on
the same box. I'd like to use the Debian packaged SSH, but the problem
is that it defines SSHD_PAM_SERVICE at compile time, and this breaks the
ability to use different PAM stacks by symlinking to the binary.

Is this done for policy reasons, and if so, what's the reasoning behind
it? It would be nice _not_ to have this defined as it would make the
binary usable in a setup with multiple SSH daemons, all using different
PAM stacks.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Layton <jtlayton@poochiereds.net>