Re: OpenSSH 3.5p1

cjwatson@debian.org said:
> I'm currently putting together packages for 3.5p1. The Debian patches
> forward-port without too much trouble, etc. However, is anyone in a
> position to explain briefly what this "install ssh-agent setgid to avoid
> ptrace attacks" thing is about?
>
> Also, although it appears to drop privileges immediately and not regain
> them, will it provide additional security to use a special-purpose
> group? The Red Hat packages in OpenSSH CVS use group nobody.

from ptrace(2):

EPERM  The  specified  process  cannot be traced.  This could be because the
       has insufficient privileges; non-root processes cannot trace
       processes that they  cannot  send  signals  to or those running
       setuid/setgid programs, for obvious reasons.  Alternatively, the
       process may already be being traced, or be init (pid 1).

So it would seem that by making ssh-agent setgid, other processes are
prevented from using ptrace to attach to ssh-agent and steal secrets.
Though it seems that if you can ptrace attach to an ssh-agent, you could
just connect to its unix socket like ssh does.

Overall, limiting the ways to get secrets out of ssh-agent is a Good
Thing, I'd say.

To answer your question, it would seem that the group is of no
consequence. It's the fact that the binary is setgid anygroup that's
important.

Jason