Re: ssh-nonfree -> OpenSSH transition proposal

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> This seems not an unreasonable direction.  You will end up (assuming
> you don't replace the config files) with config files with references
> to /etc/ssh-nonfree for the host keys.

True, but probably too much of a corner case to clean up after giving
the phrasing of the relevant debconf question.

> I'm also not sure that you want to depend on ssh-krb5 in preference to
> ssh.  I realize that ssh-nonfree currently builds against Kerberos.
> Do you think that more people have it installed because of this, or
> because they never upgraded from ssh-nonfree to ssh?

As I understand it, there was already a transition when the non-free
package got renamed from ssh to ssh-nonfree and OpenSSH took over the
unadorned "ssh" name -- hence the epoch in the latter's version
number.  As such, the only people running ssh-nonfree are those who
specifically want the non-free version, so I'd expect a relatively
significant fraction, at least among users of testing and unstable, to
care about Kerberos.

OTOH, it's probably reasonable to assume that anyone who cares about
Kerberos has enough clue to track down ssh-krb5, so I'd be okay with
changing the dependency to "ssh."

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu for more info.