Re: Sun Ultra 25 / Debian 12 install/progress

Hi Adrian,

thanks a lot.

Once a new image is available I will try it out.

Cheers

Iggi

Hi Iggi!

On Fri, 2023-11-10 at 18:56 +0000, Ignacio Soriano Hernandez wrote:
so installed it with the latest image you had posted. It boots into the
login but USB is not supported, so only terminal.
Can you post the output of "lsusb" and "lspci" so I can see what kind of
USB controller your machine has? Maybe it's just disabled in the Debian
kernel configuration.

What I was feeling is that even 5.16 is very unstable .. a simple apt
install openssh-server crashed the machine.
Kernel after 4.19 were actually not very stable on older SPARCs like yours
while there were no problems on the newer SPARCs like T2, T3, T4 and so on.

Bisecting these kernel issues on my Ultra 45 is still on my TODO list.

If you want to have a stable kernel, use this image from July 2019 and make
sure you always boot the machine into kernel 4.19 from GRUB:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2019-07-16/
Btw. What is the recommended way of updating the keyring so that I could
install some further packages and a desktop? What it be possible to exit
to the shell within the installer to update the keyring so that it could
use the mirror to get the packages?
You can download and install the keyring package like this:

# wget http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool/main/d/debian-ports-archive-keyring/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2023.02.01_all.deb
# dpkg -i debian-ports-archive-keyring_2023.02.01_all.deb

Thanks a lot for your support.
You're welcome and sorry for the current issues you're seeing.

I haven't had time to work on Debian's sparc64 port for a while and only
recently had the time to setup the two new SPARC T4-1 that we purchased
for Debian.

These machines are running now and I am currently going through all kind
of packages which have regressed on sparc64 and I'm filing bug reports and
sending patches upstream.

Also, I am going to updated debian-installer images soon so you can test
a more recent kernel.

Adrian