Re: Recent issue with /dev/disk/by-uuid

On Saturday 2023-10-28 08:30, Rick Mangus wrote:

>The partition table is a Sun disk label, which means that /dev/sda1
>starts at sector 0

(which it does not _have_ to)

>and the filesystem header thus starts in the same
>place as if there were no partition table.

yeah, that kind of speaks for itself how the by-{uuid,id,label} link can shift
between sda <-> sda1.

>I believe on my e450 that
>this is in fact required for the boot partition

Not that I know of. It's pretty much like on x86, with sector 0
containing a few boot bytes to load "something else", irrespective
of a logical partitioning scheme superimposed on top.
What I had with my T1000 was: https://inai.de/2006/03/30

>[if] there's an easy fix in the installer aside from defaulting to
>one of the by-id options.

You could move the disk blocks down the line (intricate dd_rescue
operations) and modify the partition table to match it,
moving /boot so it does not start at 0.