Re: M4000 failing to boot Debian Sparc64

Hi Dennis!

Good day to you Sir!

On Sun, 2023-07-02 at 14:34 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
You are likely kicking a dead horse. That M4000 is similar to my M3000
and you will never ever get Linux to run there. Ever. Unless you have a
few million dollars for research and development and then be able to
push all the good research upstream into the Linux kernel.

I don't think that's true. Since it has been reported that these machines
run OpenBSD, it should be a matter of reading the OpenBSD kernel sources
and add the missing bits and pieces for the SPARC64 VII(+) machines to the
Linux kernel.

Are we certain about NetBSD or OpenBSD? I did try to install NetBSD and
that failed also. I think I have my notes on that somewhere but it would
be easy enough for me to try again.

I don't think that would be much as this it just some board-specific code
and it wouldn't probably take an experienced kernel developer longer than
a month if at all.

That brings the costs down to the level of reasonable. Let me ponder
that a while.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC