Re: M4000 failing to boot Debian Sparc64

Hello!

On Mon, 2023-07-03 at 05:28 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
I don't think that's true. Since it has been reported that these machines
run OpenBSD, it should be a matter of reading the OpenBSD kernel sources
and add the missing bits and pieces for the SPARC64 VII(+) machines to the
Linux kernel.

Are we certain about NetBSD or OpenBSD? I did try to install NetBSD and
that failed also. I think I have my notes on that somewhere but it would
be easy enough for me to try again.

OpenBSD lists the M4000 as supported:

https://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html

While I didn't actually mention NetBSD here, since it's not the same as OpenBSD,
I checked that as well now and it currently doesn't support Fujitsu CPUs, but
that's work-in-progress, same applies to sun4v, i.e. T1-T5. For sun4v, I'm actually
in contact with the developer doing the work.

https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/sparc64/

I don't think that would be much as this it just some board-specific code
and it wouldn't probably take an experienced kernel developer longer than
a month if at all.

That brings the costs down to the level of reasonable. Let me ponder
that a while.

Find someone on the sparclinux Linux kernel mailing list willing to do the work
and create a Bountysource campaign to sponsor the work. I assume, you can get
it done for maybe $5000-$10.000.

Adrian

Dear Sir :

    I just want to follow up to let you know that I am giving this idea
some reasonable thought. I suspect the costs and efforts to be quite a
bit higher. Merely my own experience in such a collective endeavor where
the benefit is hardly measurable with such a small userbase. Having said
that, I must also admit that the userbase is so minuscule for precisely
the reason one would consider fixing this mess!

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC