Re: Updated Debian Ports installation images 2022-03-28

On 3/29/22 15:48, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Dennis Clarke wrote:
# dd if=/cdrom/test/debian_20220328/debian-11.0.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso
of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 bs=2048 count=189529
dd: unexpected short write, wrote 1536 bytes, expected 2048
65725+0 records in
65725+0 records out
So that is strange. Perhaps the iso image file is a sparse file with a
hole in it.

Hardly. Some automat would have to have converted the file to a be
sparse one.

I would rather expect "short write" to be caused by the return value of
a write(2) call being less than the number of submitted bytes.
(It should not happen with a healthy disk device except at the very end
of its capacity.)

The disk address /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 looks like Solaris. So it is no
wonder that i fail to find the dd message in Debian's coreutils.

Maybe it works better or fails with other diagnostic messages if you
use bs=512 and adjust or omit the count= argument.

Have a nice day :)

Trying.

I did try bs=512 and yes the box was running Solaris at the time. There
is no OS on the netra at all so I have to network boot from somewhere to
get a workable shell prompt.  It is trivial to netboot Solaris 10 onto
an old netra. So I do that. Then I can run "format -e" and label the two
disks in the machine as typical disks. The device path /dev/rdsk/c_etc
is just the controller and the scsi id data for the drive. Nothing fancy
and it generally just works. At least in the past. I have swapped out a
disk already and I see the exact same error from "dd" regardless.

Now I am trying more stringent methods.

I would really like to just serve up the installer over TFTP/BootP and
get the process going. Good old NFSv3 can serve everything else.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC

ps: there is no way to boot USB nor a CDROM at all.