Re: Install Etch on Sparc NFS

Hi!

On 1/24/22 06:27, D J wrote:
> Can Etch be installed directly to a NFS share from the Etch Sparc installer?
> I have seen information that there should be an option to install to a NFS
> share but I don't see it when I run the installer.  I also netbooted the Woody
> installer but same thing.

I don't think it's officially supported, but I don't see any particular reason
why it shouldn't work.

FWIW, the network ("netboot") installer can be found here:

http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-sparc/current/images/sparc32/netboot/2.6/

Manual here: https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/sparc/ch05s01.html.en

> If I have to install to a HD, what do I have to do to the installation after copying
> everything over to the share to get it to boot from NFS?  Is there some special kernel
> build I need to do?

You don't need a special kernel. But you must provide the initrd over TFTP as well so that
the kernel will be able to find its network drivers to mount the NFS filesystem.

And you need to pass the proper "root=" option so the kernel can find the root filesystem
over the network.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz