Re: Sun Ultra 45: Kernel Panic (corrupted stack end detected inside scheduler) with 5.19

(Since I didn't hit reply all on the previous one, whoops I'm not so good at mailing lists)

Thanks for the advice. The 5.16 CD is stable enough to pass the installation (aside from a video text bug), however in rebooting it blows up. I was able to console install it using the same trick as with the U10 (setting the output and input devices to TTYA). I'm going to post what I did here so anyone else with an UltraSPARC III/T1 based machine can get "something" going.

I initially tried the 4.19 CD however after grabbing the new gpg key and doing an upgrade once the OS was installed it blew up a few minutes in. Namely the upgrade failed really early on and I was unable to sudo, and if I logged out I was unable to login as well. It didn't even try to let me enter in a password, it simply told me that it was incorrect.

So what I did was I used the 5.16 CD, then when I was asked the tasksel question I used Ctrl-A and 2 to move to the shell, chrooted /target, and used busybox wget on the kernel you linked and installed it. This gave me a working system with the 4.19 kernel. For some reason or another though networking did not want to work on 4.19, so I mounted the CD, and installed the deb and udebs from there (and the kernel image from https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20190622T024525Z/pool-sparc64/main/l/linux/), and networking finally worked. I'd install that too or the other udebs for the one you linked instead of just using the kernel.

Now it's rock solid and I can do my weird SPARC experiments. Thanks so much.