Re: nasty bug in /usr/sbin/grub-probe

On 4/3/22 14:23, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> Are you sure of 4.19 ?  I see that 4.19.237 exists but I will guess the
> same bug exists there also. I was going to begin with 4.19.114 which was
> released 02-Apr-2020. A solid two years ago seems like as good a place
> to start as any. However building the kernel will require that I create
> an initrd and also update grub etc etc. I can do that manually and then
> bypass the "update-grub" process entirely.

Of course, there is a kernel 4.19 tag:

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/refs/tags

4.19.114 an LTS release of the 4.19.x series, you don't need it. Just use Linus'
tree and start bisecting between 4.19 and HEAD.

# git bisect start
# git bisect good 4.19
# git bisect bad HEAD

then compile and test. Mark good commits with "git bisect good", bad ones with
"git bisect bad".

>> Not really. You cross-build the kernel, transfer it to the machine and see if
>> update-grub works.
>
> Hold on.  This sounds like a chicken and egg scenario. The update-grub
> will fail every time. I will need to do the process by hand with an edit
> to grub.cfg and with the files needed dropped into /boot with the few
> kernel modules needed in /lib/modules/foo. That should be enough to at
> least boot.

Well, that depends where update-grub fails. If it leaves a broken GRUB configuration
behind, it will be a bit tricky. But if it already fails before writing anything to
disk, you should be safe.

> I have already started the process but I am starting with 4.19.114.

That makes no sense. You're not on Linus' tree but on the stable tree.

Stable: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git

Linus' tree: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/

It makes no sense to test the stable tree since the different stable versions
lie on different branches, so you will never see the regression in the first
place.

You must Linus' tree since that's the only tree with a linear history.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz