Re: Booting a T5140 panics

Curiously, I didn't see other people's replies to my message, probably
due to not being subscribed. I figured at the point where I just
bought another SPARC, I might as well...

I've done some digging into it. The short version is that commit
7d5ec3d3 introduced the readl() at
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/pci/msi.c?h=v5.14#n748
, and for reasons that are currently opaque to me not being familiar
with low-level SPARC details, that dies in a fire.

Just short-circuiting it to 1 instead of calling readl() seems to
function fine for my system, but isn't a great general solution...

(Bonus fun - my T5140 is currently booting from a /boot on a USB drive
and a / on an LSI SAS2 PCIe controller because A) the onboard SAS1
card is faulted and not obviously fixable, and B) I only figured out
how to get the SAS2 disks to show up as a bootable device by loading
the FCode blob onto the card after I did the install...I should
probably migrate that at some point.)

Last bit of fun is that Linux seems to be misinterpreting the
local-mac-address? setting and just unconditionally overriding
_everything_'s MAC with the system's, whether it's set to true or
false. (Amusingly, the "niu" driver has special casing for this and
instead of setting everything to e.g. 00:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa, sets the
first port to 00:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa, second to 00:aa:aa:aa:aa:ab, and so
on.)

- Rich