Re: Mozilla Software on Sparc64/Linux

Connor

This thread below claims that Big-Endian is dead (2015). It says that IBM changed their PowerPC's from BE to LE. Also that web developers assume LE.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9451284

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16187939#:~:text=Big%20endian%20is%20dead%20on%20the%20client.&text=Big%20endian%20will%20stay%20alive,time%20on%20IBM%20z%20systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3467gq/bigendian_is_effectively_dead/

It ticks me off because I like BE better. And one of the most common architectures, ARM, is switchable between BE and LE. It is normally used as LE, but that is not stopping you.

Adrian explained the problem in Firefox a while ago, it was complex.

The words of Linus:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/24/606

Linux Plumbers Congress 2020:

https://lwn.net/Articles/829733/

Is it a lost cause? Rephrase that: how many of us want and need to scratch the itch?

cheers -- Rick