Re: 5.10.0-4-sparc64-smp #1 Debian 5.10.19-1 crashes on T2000

Hi Connor,

Connor McLaughlan wrote:
> can anyone possible give a list of known stable kernel versions for
> SPARC machines? (is there a difference necessary between
> architectures/old vs. newer machines? sun4u/sun4v)?
>
> Also this instability manifests such that the machine is crashing
> during high workload? (halting? rebooting?)
>
> I ask, because on three different SPARC machines i have been
> experiencing a weird effect when using debian:
> I would start a high compiling load for several days (7-10) where the
> machines are running fine without any apparent error visible in dmesg
> or somewhere else.
> Then when i power off tand on again, the filesystem would be corrupt
> and sometimes impossible to repair without reinstallation.
>
> This seems to only happen when the machines do a long run with high
> workload and seemingly not when i just power them off again for night
> with no high workload.

I have a limited experience and can only share that the kernel I
currently am running on this Fire T2000

Linux narya 5.9.0-5-sparc64-smp #1 SMP Debian 5.9.15-1 (2020-12-17)
sparc64 GNU/Linux

Is quite stable for me: I did compile with high loads (e.g. compiling
linux kernel on all 32 cores) and sync the git repository of linux
kernel and ArcticFox browser. GIT sync of such repositories in my
experience is a good stress, I had disk drivers crash, network freeze
on different architectures and systems. But not in this case.
However, i did not try to run for several days compiling, so I don't
know if it is stable for a long time.

Riccardo