Re: 5.10.0-4-sparc64-smp #1 Debian 5.10.19-1 crashes on T2000

On Tuesday 2021-03-23 16:29, Frank Scheiner wrote:

>> while I was able to "install" correctly using a slightly older ISO, I
>> get not a bootable system. The kernel appears to crash very early during
>> boot.
>
> From my current testing it looks like "UltraSPARC IIIi"s are also
> affected by this problem with UltraSPARC T1s in some way:
>
> With the latest Linux 5.10.x (from Debian) the root FS can't be
> successfully mounted, with the latest Linux 5.9.x (also from Debian) it
> just works fine. Unfortunately the V245 doesn't fail/work for the exact
> same kernels that I tested during the bisecting for the T1000, e.g. the
> first bad commit version that didn't work on the T1000 seems to work on
> the V245 but some good versions don't with:
>
> ```
> [...]
> Begin: Retrying nfs mount ... [   41.753937] NFS: mount program didn't
> pass remote address
> mount: Invalid argument

I seem to recall that NFS is one of those filesystems that (a) makes use of
filesystem-specific data, i.e. mount(2)'s 5th argument, and (b) a mount helper,
/usr/sbin/mount.nfs.

Now, with the change in Linux kernel 028abd9222df0cf5855dab5014a5ebaf06f90565,
I am postulating the hypothesis that that the fs/nfs/ code for parsing this
binary blob is no longer aware that it is being invoked in a compat32 context.

Since T2 systems were said to be fine and T1 not, perhaps the T1 systems in
question were all on NFS mounts and the T2 one wasn't?