Re: Newer kernels fail to boot on a U450?

Hi Adrian,

On 24.02.21 13:04, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Mark!

On 2/24/21 12:14 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
Do people still run newer kernels on older hardware? If there is interest,
I may be able to get some more diagnostic information. In particular I'd be
curious to know if Oracle do any routine testing of newer kernels on machines
such as the U450 and whether anyone there can reproduce the problem.

I think this must be an issue specific to this machine or this model as I haven't
seen such issues myself when testing on older machines.

There is a stability issue on newer kernels on older hardware that is currently
being debugged though [1].

Didn't know of that thread. I wonder if this could be the reason for the
crashes on my v480 and v490, though they happened already during kernel
boot.

Adrian

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=161399891728083&w=2

Cheers,