Re: mkfs.ext2 - state D partitioning stops at 33% /boot

Hi Mike, all on the list,

On 22.06.20 02:06, Mike Tremaine wrote:
[...]
Can you try replacing the IDE cable or try a different disk?

Adrian

[...]
Sadly no good outcome. Different cables made no difference, I tried a
PDC20269 Card (which uses pata_pdc2027x
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/ata/pata_pdc2027x.c>)
and in that case I can not see the disk nor the cdrom once the kernel
has loaded. (Which is consistent with Debian 9 SILO installer on that card)
That is I can boot the cd and then when it comes to the stage of loading
from the media it can not be found. asmod shows the pdc2027x drive is
loaded and lspci shows the card but no devices are on it.
The PDC20267 (Promise ATA 100 using pata_pdc202xx_old) is the original
card I was working with today and it can’t make the filesystem. [Opps
posted]
I went ahead and tried OpenBSD6.7 on this new disk to see if it works
and it does. So I’m right back where I was before I began this exercise.
I need to find a HighPoint HPT366 the non-raid kind of card to see if it
can been used. I know I tried at least one SILxxx and it was not useable
by OpenBoot.  I’ll keep thinking about ways around this. I wonder if the
FCode linking I do to the card somehow limits the DMA mode to match the
onboard limit. It’s kind of a blackbox to me. But I thought once the
kernels take over they would sort it out.

@all:
Are there any users that had success with Promise based ATA controllers
on UltraSPARC?

@Mike:
I wonder if your problems could be an endianness issue in the Promise
drivers. In the end, I assume these were mostly used on x86. I'd expect
it to work with the onboard ATA controller of the Ultra 5 - at least it
worked for me when I tried an installation on my Ultra 10 and I believe
the hardware used in both machines is similar to identical. That it
works with OpenBSD for you could be due to their development process
which takes into account the specifics of many different architectures.

Cheers,
Frank