Re: General beginners questions for debian sparc64

Hello!

On 6/15/20 1:42 AM, CoNNoR McL wrote:
> Initially i had a little installation trouble since apparently grub relies on the /boot
> partition to exist, together with a warning that my standard 40GB drive for the machine
> exceeds 65536 cylinders.

It's not GRUB that needs the /boot partition, it's the old hardware which doesn't support
the modern GPT partition tables and hence not relying on block lists (which are unreliable).

> Once that was sorted, i had trouble getting a clear picture on my monitor because the
> framerate was to high. So i lowered the framerate from 75hz to 60hz by creating config
> files for X11 with the correct modeline.
>
> So far the desktop is running, albeit a bit slow and opengl is not working at all.

It's actually not something taken for granted that X11 works on that machine.

> I think i should have the PGX64 chipset in this machine, but i am not sure if it uses the correct driver.
> glxinfo tells me everything is fine with direct rendering using llvm.
>
> When i try to run glxgears, i get a bus error.

Please provide a backtrace using GDB.

> When i try to run extremetuxracer, i don't get into the game, the errors point to
> unhandled calls in some asound library.

Information is too unspecific to be able to help. I need a backtrace/error message.

> Also i can't run any web browser. Midori and Epiphany crash or don't open a website

Again, too unspecific.

> and the current Firefox or Firefox-esr are not installable due to missing dependencies.

See: https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html

Also, if someone wants to help me making Firefox more portable again by addressing the
NodeJS dependency, that would be great. I already have a rough concept for that.

> Is any of this current normal behavior or is my configuration incorrect at some point
> and some of these thing are supposed to work, albeit slow on these old machines?

The information you provided is too unspecific (except for the Firefox problem), so it's
not really possible to answer your question.

> Finally before i install Solaris 8 on a second drive: is it possible to create a dual boot
> installation with debian and Solaris on one drive? If it is, how would i achieve this with
> grub?
No idea, I never tried that. I recommend asking on the GRUB mailing list.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz