Re: Debian SID on Ultra-30

On 10/24/20 1:17 AM, Connor McLaughlan wrote:
> While i really appreciate the effort to keep this port around, i found
> it a few inches away to really be usable as a reliable desktop system.
> For server software without framebuffer, it might work well, but most
> desktop programs aside from the basic desktop environment like lxde or
> mate will bus error/segfault or be not installable due to not
> available dependencies.

If you run into issue like reproducible crashes, please report them, CC'ing
this mailing list. We can only fix issues that people are reporting
(unsurprisingly ;)).

> You can go and fake a few packages to get stuff running and also use
> snapshot.debian.org to install dependencies and eventually get a
> firefox 50 running.

Well, the main problem is that Mozilla upstream has added a hard dependency
on NodeJS for building Firefox even though it is not strictly necessary.

And NodeJS has very limited platform support as it's based on a Google
product.

> I  guess the  main problem is the vanishing userbase of sparc, and it
> feels like each distribution has only one member left to look out for
> the port. Not many people test and report bugs it seems. And possibly
> there is also less interest in fixing them upstream.

No, the main problem are the lack of reports.

> For now i am dualbooting (plugging harddrives) between netbsd and
> linux on my sparc machines. While i found the linux kernel is more
> stable, sometimes debian seems to corrupt the filesystem and needs a
> reinstall.

The servers building the packages are running 24/7 without corrupting
their filesystems, so you might have issues with your hardware.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz