Re: Fail to boot Fujitsu M10-4

Hi,

On 6/1/19 04:52, Sonnie Hook wrote:
I have installed Debian/SPARC port from ISO image of 2019-05-24. At
first, I just followed the default "Use entire disk" to partition the
whole disk into
/dev/sda1 grub-boot
/dev/sda2 /
/dev/sda3 swap
GRUB was installed without any error message. But when boot from prompt:
{0} ok boot disk
Boot device: /pci@8000/pci@4/pci@0/pci@0/scsi@0/disk@p0,0  File and args:

Can't open boot device

After googling for quite a long time, I entered rescue mode via booting
from cdrom, and re-partitioned the disk into
/dev/sda1 grub-boot 30M
/dev/sda2 /boot 1G
/dev/sda3 / 500G
/dev/sda4 swap left

Can this be done from the installer without reinstalling the whole OS?

Still I got the same error.

Could someone tell me how I can boot this machine?

The "d-i/grub-installer" can install GRUB on systems that support GPT
partitioned drives and systems that don't support GPT partitioned
drives, and IIRC uses a subarchitecture string to differentiate between
the capabilities of the respective machine. It could be that this
doesn't apply to your M10-4 with SPARC64 X/X+ or the resulting
partitioning isn't what your machine expects or the path to the boot
device wasn't correctly translated.

When you are in rescue mode, could you issue `archdetect` on a console
in the installer UI and post the resulting string?

And could you also issue `partmap <DISK>` (with <DISK> being your actual
disk device, e.g. /dev/sda) and post the result? This should show if GPT
partitioning was used or not.

And as this machine would be the first SPARC64 driven machine I know of
that runs Debian GNU/Linux, could you please also post your `dmesg`
output or your syslog from an installer boot?

Depending on how GRUB was installed, it could also work to just issue
`boot disk` from the OBP if "disk" is a device alias pointing to your
actual install disk - if non-GPT partitioning was used.

I don't know what needs to be added to boot when GPT partitioning was
used though. According to [1] and your partitioning scheme, maybe add
`,0` at the end, i.e. `boot disk,0`.

[1]:
https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/wiki#installation-instructions-for-sparc-t4-and-above

Cheers,