Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-05-09

On 5/13/19 2:50 AM, Gregor Riepl wrote:
> - The new GRUB-based CD boot works well. Kudos!

Thanks.

> - Mirror listing during install and automatic sources.list config afterwards
> is still broken, requiring manual changes according to
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2016/06/msg00126.html

Yes, and this isn't solely up to me to resolve it:

See:

Feel free to leave some feedback there and make some pressure to get
things forward.

> - The installer still redirects to the onboard Mach64 instead of a sunffb
> card, even if a screen is attached. After installation, output goes to the
> correct display.

I honestly have no idea how to address this. It's also the first time I
have heard of this problem. There might be something hardwired somewhere
for sparc* from back in the days when sunfb was still part of the kernel.

> - The mirror list at https://www.debian.org/mirror/list still lists the sparc
> architecture, but not sparc64. Will this get fixed after buster is released?

See:

> https://salsa.debian.org/mirror-team/masterlist/merge_requests/5

Again, not up to me.

> - Using the default partitioning scheme, the installer configures a /boot
> partition that is only 100MB (on a 120GB ATA disk). This is too small to hold
> more than one kernel plus initrd, apparently - I had trouble upgrading the
> kernel package at one point.

Yes, I have already heard the partition is too small and I will push an update
to partman-auto soonish to address this. This issue also affects machines with
Sun partitioning only as for the GPT-capable ones we are not using a separate
/boot partition.

For Sun labels, a separate /boot is necessary as GRUB uses linked block lists
and the blocks need to be below a certain sizes limit (i.e. 10 GiB) for them
to work. But I'm not 100% sure on this and one should probably ask GRUB upstream
for advise.

Any testing and feedback on this issue is welcome so that I don't have to do all
this research myself.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz