Re: Any progress with grub-installer?

> On Jan 7, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:
>
>> On 1/7/19 16:35, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> On 1/7/19 4:31 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> I tried to install GRUB using a ELF boot image:
>>>
>>> root@debian:~/grub2# grub-install /dev/vdiska
>>> Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
>>> grub-install: error: the size of `/boot/grub/sparc64-ieee1275/boot.img' is not 512.
>>> root@debian:~/grub2# ls -l /boot/grub/sparc64-ieee1275/boot.img
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 816 Jan  7 18:29 /boot/grub/sparc64-ieee1275/boot.img
>>> root@debian:~/grub2#
>>>
>>> So, the generated ELF image is too big. No idea yet how to address this.
>> It does seem to work, however. At least with GPT:
>>                          GNU GRUB  version 2.02+dfsg1-9
>>  |*Debian GNU/Linux                                                           |
>

> Did you maybe already install the v1 version on this GPT disk?

No, I didn’t. I only ever tried v2 on this machine. In fact, I built v2 first, then ran the tests.

> As both v1 and v2 use the same version number it's not clear if this is one or the other.

Yes, but I know what I did. I‘m not sure why you are questioning that. Do you see any unexpected results?

> And maybe the above `grub-install /dev/vdiska` didn't install the v2 version at all. Did it exit with `0`, as it actually reports an "error" and not a "warning"?

It did. The version number in the GRUB menu was bumped from -4 something to -9.

I used —force, FWIW when running grub-install.

Adrian