Re: Starting up Debian on a T5120

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 06:38:32PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Yes, Debian has the packages "zfs-linux" and "spl-linux" which provide
> various binary packages you can install for getting ZFS support in your
> kernel. ZFS does support sparc64, of course. Although ZFS upstream introduced
> support for something called "channels" and I think this particular wasn't
> matured on sparc64.
>
> Also, since zfs-linux is part of Debian's contrib distribution, you would
> have to build the package from source yourself. I can help you with that
> either way.

  Ahh, okay.  That's what I didn't know yet.  I saw that there was an available
zfs-fuse and installed that, since I didn't see a kernel ZFS.  I started
considering how I might manage if I didn't have a "everything is in ZFS"
system which is what I'm used to.  Then next step was "ask for help".

> So, first you should go ahead and install your machine with Debian's
> sparc64 port. Then I'll let you know how to proceed with getting ZFS
> set up.

  Got that.  A couple months ago, and just brought it back online.  Should
I reinstall it, upgrade it, or just start where I am?  Looks like a late-Feb
build is what got installed.  And I'm definately an old hand with building
and installing OSes.  Been doing it that way for 20+ years.  :-)

  Thanks for your assitance!

                 - Chris