Re: The end of my Ultrasparc 5?!?

Hi Adrian,

> I've seen that on my Amiga 4000 as well.

> The problem is that btrfs tries to determine whether a block device is
> a hard drive or not and if the block device driver misses a certain
> flag (e.g. removable) it will just scan forever.

> In the case of my Amiga, the btrfs module was scanning the floppy drive
> for a btrfs filesystem and without a floppy disk inserted, it would
> scan forever.

> If your UltraSPARC 5 has a floppy disk drive, it might be doing the
> same in your case. And if your machine has a floppy disk controller
> but no drive attached to it, this might explain why seemingly nothing
> is happening.
<snip>
> As for btrfs: The filesystem detection code is just plain stupid.

Interesting behaviour :-). So the problem is somewhere in btrfs_scan_devices() [1], [2].
Are you avare about any bug report of this behavior? I haven't found it in btrfs-progs
issues list [3] nor in kernel bugzilla BTRFS issues.

> Adrian

Kind regards,
Petr

[1] https://github.com/kdave/btrfs-progs/blob/master/cmds-device.c#L296