parted problems making partitions on sun disks

This came up in my efforts to build a ZFS-booting sparc.  But, I want to pull
out some my question about disk partitioning into a separate discussion.  I
don't know of a parted mailing list, and I suspect this is specific to sun
disk label anyway, so debian-sparc seemed the best place to ask.

I have a T5120 with 4 140GB disks.  I want to put a md /boot on the first two,
then use the remainder of the disks for other filesystem(s).  However, I am
getting what seems to me to be strange messages from parted, and am not sure
how to get what I'm looking for.

First, make a sun disk label.  No problems.

----------------
(parted) mklabel sun
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sda will be destroyed and all data on
this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue?
Yes/No? y
(parted) p
Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End  Size  File system  Flags

(parted)
----------------

Then, make a 500MB partition.  Again, I have no troubles

----------------
(parted) mkpart ext4 0 500m
(parted) p
Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  500MB  500MB  ext4

(parted)
----------------

The problem comes when I try to add a partition after that:

----------------
(parted) mkpart ext4 500m 100%
Warning: You requested a partition from 500MB to 147GB (sectors
976562..286739328).
The closest location we can manage is 502MB to 147GB (sectors
979965..286728119).
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes/No? yes
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
Ignore/Cancel? cancel
(parted)
----------------

The thing that concerns me most, is that it suggests it should _start_ this
new parition on an odd-numbered sector.  I can't immagine how that would ever
make a properly aligned partition.  At least, if any alignment outside of
single-sector was required, which is clearly is based on the next message

Below are a few more things I tried, including manually calculating 2048s
alignment, and trying to tell parted to do that, which only makes it tell
me it can't manage that.  Whah?

I would appreciate any pointers.

            - Chris

----------------
(parted) unit s
(parted) p
Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 286739329s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End      Size     File system  Flags
 1      0s     976895s  976896s  ext4

(parted) mkpart ext4 976896s 25%
Warning: You requested a partition from 976896s to 71684832s (sectors
976896..71684832).
The closest location we can manage is 979965s to 71682029s (sectors
979965..71682029).
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes/No? n
(parted) mkpart ext4 980992s 25%
Warning: You requested a partition from 980992s to 71684832s (sectors
980992..71684832).
The closest location we can manage is 979965s to 71682029s (sectors
979965..71682029).
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes/No? n
(parted) mkpart ext4 980992s 71679999s
Warning: You requested a partition from 980992s to 71679999s (sectors
980992..71679999).
The closest location we can manage is 979965s to 71682029s (sectors
979965..71682029).
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes/No? n
(parted) mkpart ext4 980992s 71679999s
Warning: You requested a partition from 980992s to 71679999s (sectors
980992..71679999).
The closest location we can manage is 979965s to 71682029s (sectors
979965..71682029).
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes/No? y
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
Ignore/Cancel? i
(parted) p
Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 286739329s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start    End        Size       File system  Flags
 1      0s       976895s    976896s    ext4
 2      979965s  71682029s  70702065s  ext4

(parted)