Re: netinst via tftp ?

On 04/20/2018 05:32 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>     I have setup a small machine to test with. A very old netra type
> unit. Should I assume that I can network boot the existing
> debian-9.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso via tftp or is there a better install
>  image laying about?

There is a special installation image called "netboot" which is not to be
confused with the standard NETINST image [1].

netboot images consist of a kernel and a special initrd with a debian-installer
version specifically created for booting from TFTP. These images are part
of the images set created when building debian-installer and can normally
be downloaded from [2] and [3].

However, since the debian-installer images on the FTP servers are outdated
for debian-ports (the kernels in those images are too old and are missing
the kernel module packages because of mini-DAK vs. DAK yada yada), you
have to build a fresh copy of debian-installer yourself with the kernel
version in build/common bumped to the current Debian kernel ABI version
number [4].

But to avoid you having to do all this work, you can just use the images
I created some days ago to be able to build the current NETINST image
(the tarball contains the initrds for both cdrom and netboot type
images, the kernel is the same) [5].

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz