Re: mdadm serious does wrong partition changes

On Sun, 2017-12-03 at 13:32 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 12/03/2017 01:22 PM, Frans van Berckel wrote:

> > I am creating raid partitions. First only sdd1, wanna add sdc1
> > later on. But creating sdd1 does serious wrong partition changes.
> > Because it drops the partition tabel. And creates a new one.

> > So it has created the raid on sdd, instead of sdd1. And even
> > more serious, it drops my swap, and the Sun's sdd3 partition.
>
> I don't have any of these issues but I also don't understand your
> strange RAID setup. We have setup mdraid on three of the sparc64
> machines we have and I never saw any issues.

I have created this md0 while setup as well. That goes on and boots.

But what's the better way of adding more raid partitions to a running
server? Is there a Debian specific, and anywhere documented?

> I also think it's extremely unlikely that the mdraid code has such
> fundamental issues. This is widely used code which doesn't see too
> many changes often.

I am aware of, so lets us see, your methode helps preventing this.

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel