Re: Re: mdadm /boot mirror and sun disklabel corruption

Hey Adrian,
from the old, golden sparc days:
On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:59:44PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 09/06/2017 04:40 PM, Fedor Konstantinov wrote:
> > I would greatly appreciate if it could be possible to add to the installer ability to
> > select mdadm metadata version when creating RAID arrays. Now, when creating mirror for
> > /boot partition (at sun disk slice 0) installer uses v1.2 metadata and so it corrupts
> > sun disklabel. To avoid disklabel corruption, now I have to manually create such partition
> > with v0.90 metadata, and ext3 fs in it.

I used v1.0 metadata for the same reason: slice 0 contains at the beginning
partitioning information, which will be overwritten by >1.0 versions. Up
to there raid bitmaps where at the end. Setup worked with breaking out to a
shell, creating raid1 and the continue in the installer.

> So, you want to use an old metadata format? Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the bug
> in question?
>
> Also, you want to create a mirrored boot directory, is that correct?

Did that - caveeat was, that the partition table is mirrored, so only
the layout of the smaller disk could be used.

Greetings
  Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg