Re: Fwd: Re: Latest Debian SPARC64 ISO Image

On 09/06/2017 03:00 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
I can confirm this. But at least the boot loader can now be installed from rescue mode as silo gets installed in the target root FS.

I tested the default installation, which went through as before without an issue - apart from the missing boot loader installation.

This is most likely related to silo-installer missing or not doing its job.

I will look into this.

As Adrian pointed out in [1] a separate partition with an EXT3 FS (or most likely also EXT2) on it for `/boot` is essential.
I first tried with an EXT4 file system on the root partition and no separate partition for `/boot`, but silo wasn't able
to access files there. I assume it could work with an EXT3 FS on the root partition, but I haven't tested this.

If your SPARC server isn't too old, you can actually also use GRUB:

https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/wiki

So far I recognized no obvious problems with the installation.

* There is an empty `sources.list~` remaining in `/etc/apt`, but that's not a problem at all.

Thanks for catching this. I will try to figure out where this comes from,
but it is most likely caused by choose-mirror:

https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/choose-mirror.git/

W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/source/Sources' as repository
'http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports sid InRelease' does not seem to provide it (sources.list entry misspelt?)

That's because choose-mirror tries to use the same mirror for binary and
source packages. However, there are no source packages on the Debian
Ports mirrors. Just replace the sources.list entry with a regular
mirror entry, i.e.:

deb-src http://ftp.$COUNTRY.debian.org/debian/ sid main

Where $COUNTRY is something like de, us, jp and so on.

* As I use it for my alpha, hppa and ppc64 machines, shouldn't there not also be a line for the "unreleased" suite?

Yes. We would need to patch choose-mirror here as well.

Feel free to have a look at the code yourself and suggest a patch.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz