Re: Updated debian-installer images

On 09/06/2017 08:40 AM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> For some reason the CD building process is omitting several packages
>> that should be included. I have not yet figured out what the problem
>> is. Still investigating.
>
> Many thanks for your hard work on this.

FWIW, I have found the issue and the new images are ready. I'm currently
waiting to get write permissions to upload them here:

> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/

> In the meantime I tried to boot the earlier mentioned installer image also
> on a PRIMEPOWER 250 with SPARC64 V+ CPUs, just to check if the used Linux kernel
> boots the machine - the missing SILO installer wouldn't be a problem during this state.

Interesting.

> After the previous testing I came to the conclusion that Linux seems to not support
> Fujitsu's SPARC64 CPUs (as per [1], "Note that Fujitsu's SPARC64 CPUs used
> in PRIMEPOWER family of servers are not supported due to lack of support in
> the Linux kernel. "), although it came pretty far for a "lack of support in the
> Linux kernel". But as SPARC64 V and V+ are listed on [2] and the mentioned info
> is from the Wheezy manual so maybe outdated, I again tried to boot with the
> latest image available.

I have never tried to install Debian sparc64 on any non-Sun/Oracle machine so
I can't really tell you anything.

> [2]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Installing_the_Debian_SPARC64_Port

We should probably ask the person who wrote this wiki page.

> But sadly the machine also crashes early (log below), just like with the previous installer image I tested. Should this actually work?

No idea. I would suggest taking this to the sparclinux LKML and
ask the kernel folks. They will know more. Maybe it's just a matter
of adjusting the kernel configuration. Maybe we need to create a different
kernel flavour for these machines, who knows?

Either way, this is something I can't do a alone.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz