From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz [mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:54 AM
To: Tom Demler
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How to recover from blank screen on sparc64

Hi Tom!

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 09:31:38AM -0400, Tom Demler wrote:
> I then attempted to install a desktop starting with xfce (I only have
> 1Gb of RAM). Received > several "Not Found" messages for packages so
> the install of xfce did not continue. Attempted the same with LXDE
> with similar results. Finally I updated package lists and proceeded
> with the resulting upgrades. This seemed to install many, many
> packages - possibly all that were downloaded in my attempt to install
> a desktop. It was taking a very long time particularly with building
> the font cache. I left it continue.

This is normal to Debian and not related to sparc64 at all. If your system
is up-to-date, APT will have set up a systemd timer job to update your
package lists automatically once per day.

> This morning the system was at the Sun OpenBoot boot prompt so I
> attempted to boot the system. It seemed to be booting normally but the
> result is a blank screen and I cannot get a response to anything. What
> is the best way to recover from this?

Did you try hooking up the machine to the serial console again and check the
output there?

What kind of framebuffer device do you have?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz