Re: non-free firmware

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Rick Leir <rleir@leirtech.com> wrote:

> On 2017-03-21 03:38 AM, Frans van Berckel wrote:
> Maybe I should hook up a SCSI disk, but what I really want is an SSD. This
> old post suggests you can use a  SATA->SCSI bridge:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2011-October/008055.html

I'm not sure about will it work or not, but looking at solaris 10 HCL
[1], it does list support SunBlade 2000 , and then looking at "Disk
controller" supported devices, it could probably boot from supported
pci disk controller device.
So, quickly looking through "disk controller" pci device list [2] ,
shows for example Adaptec ASH-1233 [3] which works with linux [4] and
around $15 at ebay. As well there's a bunch of pata(ide) ssds at ebay.

This is just my suggestion, as I said, i'm not sure will it actually
work (be able to boot) or not, but doing such a test , budget will be
less $100 ($15 for controller and some $30-$50 for pata ssd).

1. http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/sol/index.html
2. http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/sol/components/views/disk_controller_all_results.page1.html
3. http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/components/details/adaptec/sol_10_03_05/999.html
4. https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg03275.html