Re: Updated installer images

On 09/10/2017 06:32 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> I yesterday tested the image from [1] (SHA256: b07736dfa5bd167352d8f17f1d9bfc62fa9762f5496d0d134801b91f80bfb6b4) on an Ultra 10. Sadly the boot loader
> installation still didn't work. Unfortunately I also forgot to go back and check the available menu items before finishing up the installation without boot
> loader installation. I could later on install the boot loader manually via the rescue mode, so a workaround is still possible with the current image.

Can you please re-run the installation and save the installation log from /var/log/syslog?

I can't really work on this problem if I don't have any debug logs.

> Attached are my notes. As the installer strangely didn't detect the installed ATA HDD, although the kernel detected it and I could write to it with dd, the
> failing boot loader installation could possibly also be related to this issue.

We need the logfile.

> I also had a look into the netinst installer images for i386 and amd64 for Debian 9.1.0. They only use one `pool` directory.
>
> Why are two pool directories needed for sparc64? The `nobootloader` udeb (all) is located below `pool`, the `silo-installer` udeb (sparc64) is located below
> `pool-sparc64`. On the i386 installer ISO, e.g. the `lilo-installer` udeb is located below `pool`, where there are both `all` and `i386` packages available. So
> would it be possible to move or just copy the `silo-installer` udeb to the pool directory structure for testing?

That's because debian-ports separates between pool and pool-$ARCH [1]. That's
not something I can change at the moment. But I also don't know whether it makes
a difference given the fact the kernel packages - linux-image-sparc64 - is also
installed from pool-sparc64.

pool = arch:all packages
pool-sparc64 = arch:sparc64 packages

In any case, we need the contents of /var/log/syslog. It might be that debian-installer
is picking "nobootloader" over "silo-installer" over this fact. Or it takes it over
"silo-installer" because silo-installer comes "unreleased" and "nobootloader" comes
from "unstable".

You could try installing "silo-installer" using "anna install silo-installer" after
switching to a terminal using Alt+Fn keys.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz