Re: sparc64 as a release architecture

Hi Tom!

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 11:15:14AM +0200, Tom Turelinckx wrote:
> Now that Stretch has been released as Stable, and Buster has become
> Testing, what is the planning for turning sparc64 into a release
> architecture rather than a ports architecture?

In order for a ports architecture to become a release architecture, it
has to pass the archive qualification requirements. These include
enough dedicated maintainers, currently available hardware on the
market, good upstream support and so on. You can see the detailed list
of criteria when looking at the archive qualification for arm64 [1].

sparc64 meets all of these goals, but we don't have access to any
current hardware to be controlled by DSA (Debian System
Administrators).

In order for sparc64 to become a release architecture, the buildds and
porter boxes must be maintained by DSA. Currently, all sparc64
hardware used within Debian is maintained by ports people.

We have requested a hardware donation or loan for current sparc64
hardware from Oracle and from my understanding, the request has been
granted by management. Thus, DSA is just waiting for Oracle to
finalize the process and send out the hardware to be installed at
Debian's various hosting locations. Once DSA has their new sparc64
servers and DSA has set up these machines as buildds and porter boxes,
we are ready for sparc64 to become a release architecture.

Unfortunately, the hardware acquisition process at Oracle takes quite
long which is why we are still stuck in Debian Ports. Sorry.

Cheers,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz