Re: non-free firmware

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 04:25 -0400, Rick Leir wrote:

> Hi Frans
> Thanks for the firmware info.
> I tried ctrl+f2 on a Sun keyboard but got nothing, so I tried a few
> other things. L1-A might be sending breaks, because I see @@@ and
> the machine locks up, not even in OpenProm. Next time I will use a PC
> keyboard.

I am very happy with the Sun keyboard's. If you are booting the
OpenProm it will let you know it detects the keyboard well.

Getting @@@ looks strange. If you are in graphics mode does ctrl+alt+f2
do the job? Or this but f1, f3, f4 does any changes?

> Maybe I should hook up a SCSI disk, but what I really want is an SSD.

Talking about hardware dated 2002. It's all about pci controllers and
kernels drivers in this case, i think :-)

> This old post suggests you can use a  SATA->SCSI bridge:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2011-
> October/008055.html

Not even thinking about this solution. It's very expensive. Looking
into storage, booting by network and NFS is more realistic.

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel