Re: non-free firmware

On 2017-03-21 03:17 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Rick!

On 03/21/2017 08:06 AM, Rick Leir wrote:
(On a SunBlade 2000 (circa 2002) with two Cu processors and 1800M RAM, booting from the CDROM): I tapped on the 'choose language, choose keyboard, choose..'
screen a bit and it jumped ahead without me being finished there. OK, now I understand: the fourth item is 'Detect and mount CD-ROM', and I must have chosen that.
If you are installing over a serial console, you are most likely running into this bug [1].
Hi Adrian
Actually, I am using a real console, it might be "ATI Rage XL". Maybe I should use the serial console, so I can scroll back up as you suggest below.
Thanks -- Rick

Now it is telling me that I need some non-free firmware, filename ql2200_fw.bin, and that I should load it from removable media. Does this firmware matter, and
where can I get it? There is something by that name on the qlogic.com site. I guess it could be for the FibreChannel interface. OK, ignoring it for now.
Yeah, that's the firmware for a QLogic FibreChannel controller. If you don't need it for
the installation - assuming you don't install on a FibreChannel block device - just skip
it.

After doing 'set up users and passwords' correctly it goes on to 'Configure the clock'. It returns from that immediately without doing anything. I was hoping to
set the timezone.
Again, this is most likely the issue as described in [1]. Try selecting items using individual
characters on the keyboard (e.g. "a", "b", "c") which correspond to the initial letters of the
item in the list.

Now it is doing 'Detecting disks'. Gee, it took a long time on that, maybe a few minutes. Then it says 'No disk drive was detected' and gives me a list of
drivers to select from. I am guessing now: qla2xxx ... long pause, then I am back to the list of drivers screen. Try 'qla1280' ... 'qla4xxx' .. help! I think
the disk hardware is OK because OpenBSD is installed and can boot. What can I use for a disk driver? How could I load the ql2200_fw.bin?
What kind of controller/disk setup are you trying to install on? You can scroll up and check
what's in the kernel log in your serial terminal.

Adrian

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=854588