Re: Retrieving disk info from sunvdc using udevadm

On 03/16/2017 01:15 PM, Anatoly Pugachev wrote:
> wouldn't it be easier to patch d-i (userspace) to add support for
> "ID_FS_TYPE=iso9660" as /dev/cdrom (besides of "ID_CDROM=1"), instead
> of patching kernel (sunvdc.c) sources?

We have discussed this shortly, but we haven't really agreed on whether
this would be a clean solution after all. I mean, if you attach an ISO
file to a virtual CD-ROM drive, the kernel should report the corresponding
block device to be an actual CD-ROM drive, shouldn't it?

> # udevadm info -q env -p /sys/block/sr0
> (...)
> ID_CDROM=1

See, qemu does it correctly, sunvdc does not. And I assume all other type
of virtualization software (VirtualBox, VMWare) reports the right block
device type either. Otherwise we would have already seen lots of bug
reports regarding this. So I don't think it's justified to add a quirk for
sunvdc, is it?

> dmesg cut:
> (...)

I'm not sure how this is relevant here?