Re: report on debian-9.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso with qemu

> On 01/24/2017 10:03 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:
>> May I suggest that the Debian installer uses such a partitioning scheme by
>> default? I've seen the Debian 8.6 installer use a separate /boot partition
>> by default on armhf and s390x. So, it shouldn't be easy to do the same thing
>> for sparc...?
>
> No, we're not going to do that. SILO is scheduled to be replaced by GRUB on
> sparc64 in the foreseeable future as SILO is effectively no longer in active
> development and has too many limitations, especially on newer, sun4v machines.
>
>> Any idea? Is there a combination of a '-vga' parameter to qemu [2] and some kernel
>> parameters [3] (I tried 'console=ttyS0', 'console=/dev/null', 'nofb', 'nomodeset',
>> 'vga=normal') that would make this work?
>
> Did you try -nographic? This should create an emulated serial console device.
>
>> 3) There's a problem with the network interface: It accepts a configuration
>> through the built-in DHCP server of QEMU, but - as I could see by putting myself
>> in a chroot environment at the end of the installation - an 'ssh me@10.0.2.2'
>> cannot connect to the host machine at 10.0.2.2. DNS lookup doesn't work either,
>> although /etc/resolv.conf contains the correct value 10.0.2.3.
>> On other platforms this works.
>> The hardware emulated by QEMU on this platform is
>>   hub 0
>>    \ hub0port1: user.0: index=0,type=user,net=10.0.2.0,restrict=off
>>    \ hub0port0: ne2k_pci.0: index=0,type=nic,model=ne2k_pci,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:56
>> Does anyone happen to know?
>
> You should ask Mark Cave-Ayland or Artyom Tarasenko who are the maintainers for
> the SPARC target in qemu.

I can confirm that virtio does work in QEMU, but only in legacy (0.9)
mode - for some reason if 1.0 mode is used then we seem to hang because
we're missing an interrupt. I've managed to recreate this locally but
not had the time to dig into the details yet - any help always
appreciated :)

The command line you need for virtio on QEMU looks something like this:

./qemu-system-sparc64 -drive
file=debian-9.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso,if=none,index=0,id=cd,media=cdrom
-device virtio-blk-pci,disable-modern=on,drive=cd -nographic

Note that things are currently made a bit more complicated due to the
fact the OpenBIOS doesn't (yet) support virtio, so you'll still need to
actually boot from a normal IDE hd/cd.

I did get a prototype legacy driver working last year at
https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/openbios/2016-July/009504.html but
again due to time restrictions I've haven't been able to finish it and
get it into a committable state.

ATB,

Mark.